Social Thinking Group
Does your child struggle in social situations?
Are friendships a challenge?
Does your child seem to miss social cues that others easily pick up on?
Social skills are the communication, problem-solving, decision making, self-management, and peer relation abilities that allow our children to initiate and maintain positive social relationships with others. Many children seem to develop these skills simply by watching others. However, many children need some extra help to succeed socially. Social competence is linked to peer acceptance, teacher acceptance, inclusion success, and post school success.
Social Skills Group Sessions
Our Social Thinking group is designed to help young verbal learners (Ages 7-10) and their parents develop the skills they need to be flexible social thinkers and social problem solvers. By participating in our group sessions children will learn about the social mind and social expectations. They will also learn about their own thinking (and that of others) to help them make better decisions when in the midst of social play and interaction.
- Thinking Thoughts and Feeling Feelings teaches the basic concepts that we all think “thoughts” with our brains, we all have feelings, and our actions can change others’ thoughts and feelings.
- The Group Plan helps children understand what it means to be part of group, which is different than following one’s own plan. Sharing a thought with others is how we make and follow our group plans.
- Thinking with Your Eyes teaches that there is a purpose in observing others and the environment. What people are looking at can give us clues about what they are thinking.
- Body in the Group introduces the importance of keeping a comfortable physical presence around others, not too close and not too far away. One way we follow a group plan and connect with others is to keep our body in the group.
- Whole Body Listening helps children learn that listening involves more than just using their ears. When others think we are listening with our eyes, ears, mouth, hands, feet—our whole bodies—they feel good being around us.
1 Week Group Sessions: July 23-27 & August 13-17
10:00am – Noon
Contact Edgar Psychological for more information:
9749 111 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 1J7